My Journals‎ > ‎

Basic Training (Fort Benning - Georgia)

Basic Training Conclusion

posted Nov 19, 2011, 6:14 AM by Brandon McGuire   [ updated Mar 4, 2014, 2:55 PM ]

Basic Training Conclusion:

I finally finished basic training. It turned out to seem a lot longer that I thought it would be. It had a lot of excitement, plenty of boredom, action and drama.

I found that the physical part of basic was not nearly as hard as I had thought it would be. Don’t get me wrong we had some pretty physical days, but coming into this I thought it would be a lot tougher. I had imagined every day being pushed to the limit during our PT sessions and this just wasn’t the case. I was the “old man” and I was still able to beat over half of the people in my platoon on the PT test. This is something I’m proud of. I’ve always stayed in decent shape and I felt I pushed myself to do better each time.

The mental part was much tougher that I thought it would be. This is true especially in the beginning of basic training while we were in “Red Phase”. A person is thrown into a brand new situation with no idea of what’s going on. There is little sleep and a lot of classroom time where a lot of training is shoved down your throat. Besides the classroom training you are learning everything to do in the military for the first time. All this is done with little sleep. It’s a lot to digest and you have to do it fast. The good thing is over time everything gets easier.

The hardest part for me was the separation from my family. When you’re in basic training you are pretty much cut off from the outside world. After “Red Phase” you may get some phone calls, but it all really depends on your DS. Different platoons in our company all had varied times they were allowed to use the phone. Some were allowed to use it much more that us and one platoon almost never had the chance.

This experience has been quite an adventure. I’m glad I did it. Would I want to do it again…no. Sometimes I thought I can’t believe they actually are paying me to do this (shooting & confidence course). Sometimes I thought I can’t believe I have to do stupid things like this (picking up leaves…one by one). I’m also glad I wrote the journal each night. Not only will it be neat to look back on later in life, it may help others get an idea of what basic training is like. Writing each night also helped get everything off my chest. I would highly encourage others to write letters home and for the loved ones of soldiers in basic to write them. Sometimes my wife would just tell me about the normal events that she did in her day. I loved reading them, I loved reading all the letters I received. I craved those letters every day. Mail call was the highlight of everyone’s night.

Some Keys To Remember:

Pay attention to detail. When the DSs tell you something make sure to do it exactly as they say. 

Get in shape before shipping off to basic. Try to make sure you can pass the PT test before you leave. I saw many guys struggle all the way up to the very end just to meet the minimum requirements in order to pass. 

- Also keep working out nightly on your own, especially in reception. Doing this will help you out immensely

Help out your battle buddies as much as possible. Keep an eye on all the guys around you. Make sure they are in the right uniform, they have their complete uniform, their pockets are closed and their hat is on straight etc. This will help them out, it will help keep your platoon from being smoked, and they will return the favor and let you know if you are screwed up.

Memorize the Soldier’s Creed, Army Values, 3 General Orders, The Army Song, The Rank Structure. This will give you a head start because you will need to know all these in basic.

Don’t take anything personally. The DSs are going to yell and scream at you and your platoon. They are going to call you names and do their best to break you down. Just remember they are trying to do their job. Let it roll off your back and don’t sweat the small stuff.

Swallow your pride and whatever it is just say “Yes Drill Sergeant”. It doesn’t matter if you are right or wrong, or if you have a great excuse…just say those magic words… “Yes Drill Sergeant”

Don’t believe everything the DSs tell you. They seem to exaggerate everything. They do their best to make you anxious about whatever task is coming up.

You will hear:

Hurry Up! – One of the DSs favorite sayings. It doesn’t matter if you have 2 minutes or 30 minutes, you will hear this all the time. Just make sure that you are “moving with a purpose” in everything you do. It gets annoying…just something you have to deal with

Shut Up! – It seems guys just can’t keep their mouths shut. Everyone will start chatting with each other and the DSs hate this background noise. They will constantly yell Shut Up until finally they have had it, then everyone will get smoked.

Drink Water – In the hot weather it’s very important to stay hydrated. The DSs will constantly be telling everyone to drink water. Do your best to stay hydrated…it will save your life.

Best thing to purchase not on any packing list:

Rite in the Rain paper and products. These products are waterproof and they are awesome. They are great for the FTX trips. If you keep some on you like I did, you don’t have to worry about everything getting ruined if it starts pouring down rain all of a sudden while you are outside.

Rite in the Rain - Green Tactical Note Book (All Weather)

Rite in the Rain - Tactical Black Clicker Pen

Rite in the Rain - Spiral Notebook

Graduation Day - Day 64

posted Nov 19, 2011, 6:04 AM by Brandon McGuire

(Original Date: Friday, June 18, 2010)

I finally have access to my computer for a few days, so I thought I would give my wife a break and add some updates myself. Until she gets back home and receives some of my previous posts there may be a few days missing

My last day in basic training....seems like I’ve been here for so long. We woke up and assembled downstairs. The senior DS was calling guys names from the entire company to come up and get in a line next to him. I’m not sure what was up with everyone, but nobody was sounding off letting the DS know they were coming. Everyone was warned a few times. When the next person didn’t sound off, the entire company ended up having to do push-ups. Our last little smoke before leaving.

The guys called up were all promoted either from E-1 to E-2 or E-2 to E-3 because of their hard work during this cycle. There were about 10 of them total. 

After this we all boarded a bus and headed out to the field where we were graduating. We were given MREs for breakfast (oh yum), so I just ate a muffin and some raisons out of it. Everyone just picked one of two things just to tide them over until after graduation. We then rehearsed the ceremony again and then waited an hour out of sight in some bleachers until it was time to start.

The graduation ceremony was pretty cool. It was hot and I had sweat dripping down my face and chest, but the excitement overwhelmed me. The whole thing was over before I knew it. My wife came out onto the field and I picked her up and gave her a big hug. I said goodbye to a few guys and then we were out of there. We had exactly one hour to check out back at the bay, or else we would have to wait until 22:00 until we could leave. 

We got a little lost on the way back. I was starting to get a little nervous, but we made it back with about 15 minutes to spare. After we left I felt a big relief. This chapter is now done.

We celebrated and went out to eat. I had some great blueberry french toast for brunch, then came back to the hotel room to relax and make a number of calls to family. My awesome mother in law had my wife pack some of her lemon cake on the plane with her and brought it all the way here. So I ate that and relaxed some more.

Dinner was all you can eat pizza and dessert was a brownie sunday. I think I may explode! I’m going to have to do some push-ups in the morning. LOL

Random DS Quote “Good job this cycle privates” (Our senior DS right before we headed out to perform the graduation of the few positive remarks ever given to us)

Family Day - Day 63

posted Nov 19, 2011, 6:03 AM by Brandon McGuire

(Original Date: Thursday, June 17, 2010)

I finally have access to my computer for a few days, so I thought I would give my wife a break and add some updates myself. Until she gets back home and receives some of my previous posts there may be a few days missing

Today started off very early. Our cool DS woke up everyone at about 1:45 AM and had us all stand in front of our bunks. I was a little disoriented and thought is was actually time to get up. For some reason there was a guy missing from his bunk. He decided in the middle of the night to get up and move to the other end of the bay and sleep in an empty bed. Once he was “found” we were allowed to go back to sleep.

We had to wake up at 5:00 AM and got ready in our summer PTs. We did family day rehearsal a couple more times, we were then told we look like shit...then we were released until breakfast time at 7:30.

After breakfast we got all dressed up in our class B uniforms. Then we all waited about 30 to 45 minutes in the stairwell until we started the ceremony. The ceremony went off without any issues, then out of the blue I found out that all married couples had to go to a classroom together. So much for getting out of this place ASAP.

We sat through some information on insurance, legal stuff that the JAG office can do for us, and some other information for the health and welfare of families.

Once class was over my wife and I took off and left Ft. Benning....Woohoo! First stop...Mexican food for lunch. 2nd stop the hotel. After a while I was laying down out of uniform relaxing...once might say I was close to falling asleep. All of a sudden a loud high pitched screech assaulted my ears. It was actually painful to hear. This hotel had a high tech fire alarm that will not let you ignore actually forces you out of the building just by the extremely annoying sound.

I grabbed my swim trunks and a t-shirt with some flip flops and headed out of the room hoping that all my stuff wasn’t going to end up in flames. Turns out that it was just some kid in the elevator that pushed the fire alarm button.

Since I had the swimming trunks on we decided to take a dip in the hot tub...nice and relaxing.

We then got ready and headed out to a Texas Roadhouse for some steak. Two great meals along with a number of hot tamales and I was very satisfied.

We headed back to the base with some extra time to spare. We hung out until my platoon had to form up for accountability (we were all there)

As we were heading up to our bay we could hear 3rd platoon did not have everyone...then came the dreaded words from the DS “Half right face....front leaning rest position...move” They had to do a number of push-pus in front of their family because of late people.

We were all laughing a little about that until we got to the bay. Our DS found out Pvt. Ironic did not have his ACUs for graduation day tomorrow. He packed everything up and put it in his parents we all got smoked for that LOL (he was able to call and have them brought back)

The rest of the night was spent cleaning until late in the night. We had to get everything ready for the next cycle. Now I must try and get a little sleep before tomorrow....then I will not have to sleep in this bay again! 

Random DS Quote “If you don’t have sex with your wife 2 or 3 times a’re gay” (Our cool DS explaining how to stay happily married)

Rehearsal Day - Day 62

posted Nov 19, 2011, 6:02 AM by Brandon McGuire

(Original Date: Wednesday, June 16, 2010)

I finally have access to my computer for a few days, so I thought I would give my wife a break and add some updates myself. Until she gets back home and receives some of my previous posts there may be a few days missing

Last night Pvt. Wal-Mart asked if he could have my fire guard charge. I couldn’t argue with that LOL. He wanted the extra time to clean his rifle before it was turned in. So I got a good night’s sleep.

After waking up and getting ready, we were rushed through a duty food breakfast in the CTA. Have I said I really hate being rushed through chow? DSs yelling the whole time “Hurry Up! Hurry Up! .. You’re Done!” I’ll be so glad to get outta here just to get away from that.

When we finished eating we headed out to a field to rehearse for graduation. We ran through the process twice and then headed back to our bay. We had time to do a quick cleaning of our rifles before turning them in.

We were in for a couple of surprises when we headed down to turn in our rifles. The first surprise was that once we got in formation, we had to wait for an hour and a half. The epitome of “hurry up and wait”. The second surprise was unlike our machine guns, this inspection for our rifles took about 5 seconds. A corporal glanced down the barrel and our bolt, then told us to put it back together. We then filed into the supply room and read off the serial number. One they checked it off we were done. All that waiting for a 30 second process.

News: Pvt. Home School will not be graduating with the company. He was unable to pass the PT test, so he will be chaptered out.

After lunch we had rehearsal for family day. This rehearsal actually took longer than the graduation rehearsal. We had to go up all the stairs towards our bay, then come out to the CTA making our grand entrance...then we did it over and over again. We also had to practice putting on our berets really fast....and without a mirror LOL). Everyone was having some issues because we haven’t really worn them (except for pics and forming them on our heads)

Haircuts were next on the agenda for the day. While we were there we were able to get milkshakes. Since I didn’t get one the other day and I wanted to celebrate the end of basic training...I got an extra extra large Oreo milkshake. It was beautiful. I am now bald and full.

We headed back to the bay to clean. We took a break for dinner and then came back and cleaned some more. We moved all the beds and lockers to buff & mop the floor. We are also supposed to be almost completely out of our locker and living out of our duffel bag.

When we were done cleaning for the night our cool DS and our senior DS just hung out and talked with us. They talked about this cycle, who the favorite DS and worst DS were, among other stories. The also wanted to know what kind of things happened that they didn’t know about...assuring us of no negative consequences. It was actually pretty cool and there were a lot of laughs from both the DSs and all of us as stories were told. At one point our senior DS took a plastic garbage bag and fashioned a diaper out of it. He then made Pvt. Colon Jr. put it on and taped it so it was airtight on him....all because he kept farting. If only I could have taken a picture of that.

Once story time was over our cool DS hooked his laptop up to the projector and speakers, so we could watch the movie “From Paris with Love” staring John Travolta. A pretty good action flick...bang bang shoot ‘em up entertainment, perfect for a bunch of soldiers. We did notice that when John Travolta used his AT-4 to fire a rocket at the bad guy’s car, he didn’t perform his safety check and didn’t say “back blast area clear”...LOL

We finished at 11:30, so I took a quick shower and now I’m going to bed. Tomorrow is family day!!!!!!

Random DS Quote “It has the texture of oatmeal” (A statement our senior DS told us that he made to the first sergeant. Our Senior DS evidently took a picture of his “capital dump” and sent it to the first sergeant. The first sergeant showed it to the other DSs at lunch and one of them gagged and was unable to eat anymore)

Turns out after talking with PFC Metal he had snapped a few pictures of the diaper incident. Of course I asked him to send them to me so I could post them

Gear Turn in Day - Day 61

posted Nov 19, 2011, 5:57 AM by Brandon McGuire

(Original Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2010)

This entry was a little delayed...the letter took a while to reach it’s destination, but it did finally arrive

This morning I almost had to get up at 4:40am… oh what a bummer. I've grown to love the days we get to sleep un until 6:00am. They wanted the 4 tallest people in our platoon and had me down as one of them. I made sure or PG knew that I was like the 6th or 7th tallest and named everyone that was taller. So I was able to sleep in after all.

After breakfast the company had to all go to the classroom and we were given our orders for AIT and copies of all our paper work that has been done. We verified the info on it and when we got back to our bay we had to turn it in to our DS so it got filed away with all my other paperwork. 

We then listened to the radio and cleaned our rifles until lunch, a little while after lunch our company went and turned in all the gear we were issued when we arrived here so long ago. It was a long hot process. The weather was hot and humid… the norm at Ft. Benning in the summer. We had a big duffel bag full of crap and the rucksack full or crap. We had to wait in line outside the big warehouse (in the hot sun) and slowly, but surely make our way through the return process. The horror stories the DS kept telling us about everything being thoroughly checked and sent back were a little over blown. The people there has so much to process, they could only give everything a quick "once over". Our platoon had nothing sent back.

We then came back to the bay and cleaned our rifles some more. We also pinned on our rank and stuff to our class B uniforms. Then we got dressed from the top up in our Class A uniforms. So we had on the shirt & jacket with tie along with PT shorts and tennis shoes it looked pretty funny. I ended up having to help out a lot of guys with their ties. I guess being the older guy they all came to me. LOL.  We did this because we had to get our pictures taken (from the waste up). Unfortunately, they didn't give us much time before the pictures, so I didn't have a chance to shave. I had the complete 6:00 shadow. We'll see how the pics turn out.

Later on in the night, Pvt. Lurch started screaming at our PG. Lots of words were exchanged and Pvt. Lurch's face was red… our APG had to take him outside to cool him off. Turns out it was about fireguard shifts and sleep.

Speaking of sleep, I'm gonna get some now… we had to stay up late cleaning tonight. 

Random DS Quote: "Oh My God… Did you put butt juice in there?" ( Our cool DS talking to a guy after inspecting his rifle ).

Another Surprise - Day 60

posted Nov 19, 2011, 5:42 AM by Brandon McGuire

(Original Date: Monday, June 14, 2010)

These entries are from the remaining letters that Brandon has mailed to me - the next several days up until Day 62 are letters that didn’t make it to me before I left to Georgia. His writing at times can be a bit difficult to determine his words... bare with me, I do my best, especially with army terms.

We slept in until 6:00am this morning. I had CQ duty at 7:00 which worked out fine because breakfast was at 6:30. During CQ duty, me and Pvt. Cock just sat at the desk and watched everyone clean for an hour. After our shift, we went up to the bay and had to start the process of cleaning out our lockers. I guess we’ll be living out of our duffle bag for the next few days. We were in for another surprise with DS A-Hole he played music for us. Our PG even came around and took requests. I had to choose one of the greatest songs of all time, Fade to Black by Metallica.

3rd squad, my squad, was chosen to pick weeds in the parking lot.… lots of fun… in the hot sun. After lunch, the company headed over to the photo store and everyone picked up and paid for everything we ordered way back in the 30th AG (reception). I got some of me, one of my entire platoon, a picture CD & a movie they made of clips from our training. I decided against the yearbook, which I’m glad because they combined Bravo & Delta Company together. It seems most of the pictures are of Delta Company.

We then had an opportunity to go to the PX and get milkshakes too. The lines at both places were ridiculous. It's always crazy on weekends. I did wait for the PX though because I needed to get another bag to put all my crap in. When we arrived back we got phone calls for about 45 minutes or so which was great. I was able to chat with each of my kids and my wife… perfect. 

After chow and some cleaning in the bay we were allowed to watch “inglorious Bastards”. There were technical difficulties again at first, but we finally got everything going on the small screen again. Farting from the audience added to the soundtrack along with lots of giggles after each one was let loose. When we were ½ way through a DS from another platoon came in and said, “it’s 21:00 lights out, this ain’t no college dorm.” So we had to stop the movie and go to sleep.

Random DS Quote: “12 inches, think about it.” (Our cool DS states this often anytime someone starts talking to him)

Christmas in June - Day 59

posted Nov 19, 2011, 5:39 AM by Brandon McGuire

(Original Date: Sunday, June 13, 2010)

These entries are from the remaining letters that Brandon has mailed to me - the next several days up until Day 62 are letters that didn’t make it to me before I left to Georgia. His writing at times can be a bit difficult to determine his words... bare with me, I do my best, especially with army terms.

Today we slept in until 6:00am, which was nice. I have a major cold so that is a pain in the butt. The extra sleep came in handy. My nose is constantly stuffed up. I can’t run to the local convenience store and pick up cold medicine or even vitamins. To get any of that I would need to go to sick call and that’s not going to happen unless I physically just can’t make it through the day.

After breakfast we did everyone’s favorite hobby here in basic… cleaned machine guns. The Lt. Col. had everyone fill out questionnaires on how to improve basic and what it is that is already good. He then had a meeting with the entire company to go over it without any DSs there. PFC Metal and I stayed behind to be weapons guards. That means we have to hang out in the bay and make sure nobody steals our weapons. 

After an hour or two our PG and a few others took the machine guns down to get inspected and turned in. Hopefully they will not come back. I never want to see them again. We then started cleaning our own rifles. We hear all the time that we’ll lose our family day if our stuff isn’t clean.  I think it’s just scare tactics to get everyone to clean their stuff really well. All my stuff should be good to go. Everything has either gone through the washer or has been scrubbed really well. My rifle is almost done, just need to do a once over just to make sure.

We got some good news… our machine guns have been accepted and turned in. We will no longer be cleaning those damn things! In other news our last guy in our platoon finally passed his PT test. He had Pvt. GG running with him to motivate and pack him and he squeaked by.

I had CQ duty from 16:00-17:00. 17:00 is chow time, so I had to wait until my relief finished eating to relieve me, which left me as the last person to eat in our company. I thought it would be rush rush process, but there wasn’t even a DS in there. I was able to eat al my normal pace and finish with time to spare. 

After chow we continued to clean our rifles and something very odd happened… DS A-Hole actually started playing music for us. Then the unthinkable happened, DS A-Hole tried to play a movie for us. I say try because he was never able to get the sound working from his computer to the projector. After about a ½ hour of trying, he finally has us bring out the TV from their DS lounge. It’s only about 30” so we had to crowd around it a bit closer; we were able to watch the movie with only a few minor interruptions because of a dirty DVD. The movie was called “Law Ability Citizen”. It was a pretty good suspense with some twist thrown in it. Everyone enjoyed it. To top it off, before the movie, they allowed us to split up what was left in the contraband box (aka candy) from earlier in the cycle… leftovers from whatever the DSs didn’t take, it was still pretty cool. The movie took us officially past our lights out by about 40 minutes, so right after the movie everyone jumped in bed and crashed.

Random DS Quote: “You guys look like dick soup” ( a DS from another company walked over to our platoon and didn’t realize our PG had put us at rest… so there were a number of guys talking and just hanging out in a loose formation.)

its was fun and a great experience. Bravo 2-47 bulldogs hooah.
Sunday, August 28, 2011 - 03:24 AM

Wrestle Mania - Day 58

posted Nov 19, 2011, 4:30 AM by Brandon McGuire

(Original Date: Saturday, June 12, 2010)

These entries are from the remaining letters that Brandon has mailed to me - the next several days up until Day 62 are letters that didn’t make it to me before I left to Georgia. His writing at times can be a bit difficult to determine his words... bare with me, I do my best, especially with army terms.

This morning we woke up and did the “the Raider Run” also known as “the Raider Fun Run”. I don’t mind going for a run, but I would never classify it as fun. There were a lot of rumors leading up to it. Was it an all out race? Was it 6 miles? It turned out to be a slow jog for about 3 miles all run in platoons. The DSs took turns doing cadence the entire time so that was pretty cool (when we could understand them). The commander led it and even though it was at a jog, I worked up a pretty good sweat. 

After the run the commander gave a little speech and after, the DS called us pieces of shit, then we took a shower and got ready for “Raider Breakfast”

Raider Breakfast included steak & eggs if you wanted. We all got our food and took it to classroom 2 to eat. While we were eating (and not being rushed) we enjoyed a slide showoff a number of pictures that were taken during basic. When that was finished the soldiers from each platoon got up on stage and did their best impersonations of the DSs. There were some pretty funny ones and some really stupid ones. There were a number that made the DSs laugh. All in all pretty good time. 

After breakfast we had to lay out all the equipment we were issued for basic. A nice touch was that we were able to listen to some good music during this unpacking process… including some of favorite Metallica & Lacuna Coil. Once everything was out the DS had to go over each item before we packed it.

Since our company is almost through all the other companies and basically anyone who needs volunteers come here. I think since we’re 1st platoon they come here first.  We have had to send out “duty squads” all week. Today I got volunteered for a duty squad. We unloaded an entire semi truck full of ice blocks and crushed ice for Foxtrot Company… that’s some cold work.

Oh joy, guess what we got to do after lunch? Clean machine guns. We only have 6 assigned to our platoon and I think everyone has spent hours on every single piece of every single machine gun.

After dinner we got our custom platoon t-shirt. Now everyone is running around the bay wearing them and all the other t-shirts they bought. They seem worse than woman at a shopping mall.

The main event tonight was wrestling in the bay… on the hard ass tile floor. The entire platoon (except for a door guard watching out for the DS on duty).  Guys would call each other out and if the other accepted they would wrestle. No punching… just a combination of wrestling and submission. There were some god matches. Most ended by a choke out, but PFC Metal actually won by an arm bar. Every fight had side bets going which got everybody excited and really into it. Eventually 3rd platoon ended up finding out about it and they even had a few people come down and wrestle. (1st platoon won each of those).

Random DS Quote: “Did you brush your teeth with dick this morning?” (Our cool DS commenting on Lurch’s breath this morning).

Hate is a Strong Word - Day 57

posted Nov 19, 2011, 4:22 AM by Brandon McGuire

(Original Date: Friday, June 11, 2010)

These entries are from the remaining letters that Brandon has mailed to me - the next several days up until Day 62 are letters that didn’t make it to me before I left to Georgia. His writing at times can be a bit difficult to determine his words... bare with me, I do my best, especially with army terms.

Today we slept in a little (5:15am) and had duty food in the CTA. As we were in formation we had a guy (I’ll call him Pvt. Ironic) ask the PG if he could sit down, he wasn’t feeling well. (Our APG had a fever the other day and has been in the infirmary since).  So Pvt. Ironic sat down and our senior DS took his temp. He had a 99 point something temp,  so our DS told him to go up and take a cold shower. Two guys were helping him get back to the bay when all of sudden Pvt. Ironic passes out. Our senior DS came back over to him and slap him in the face… he wakes up. LOL. So he goes up and before we left formation he was back in line with us and said he didn’t remember any of it… strange.

We then walked over to reception, that place we arrived so so long ago. It’s funny that we can walk there from our CTA, but the bus ride from reception to the real boot camp took much longer… all to build up the anticipation for the recruits. Anyways, we took any clothing items we had that were damaged or stained and exchanged them. I was able to exchange all my pants (4 pairs) and 1 top all because of stains this Georgia clay gives your clothes. 

Oh My God! We had to clean those damn machine guns yet again. I basically sat with one piece and a Q-tip trying to find dirt. I rubbed all over that thing for hours all the way until lunch. 

Lunch was MREs and near the end our cool DS said if anyone can eat a packet of crackers that came in an MRE in 2 minutes (without any drink), then that person will get a 30 minute phone call & the platoon will get a 15 minute call. We had two people try, but the crackers are so dry nobody got even close. Our DS said the whole time he’s been the army he’s never seen anyone able to eat the crackers in two minutes.

After lunch… guess what? Cleaning our machine guns more. I think I may never want to shoot one of these again. At least we get to listen to music. 

A number of other side business have sprung up at the end of our cycle. Guys are making peoples beds and a new one… cleaning other’s equipment for turn in. One thing I would have considered is paying someone to clean these machine guns.  They were turned in, but the supply sergeant took about 6 people to go down and clean spots he found. Not too long after the entire platoon had to go down and clean those machine guns. I hate machine guns!

Before the end of the night the entire company was forced to stay in their bay. I guess guys from the 3 other companies were down in the CTA gawking at Alpha Company female family members. I guess they didn’t have to clean their machine guns as long as we did!

Random DS Quote: “If your wife gains weight while you’re deployed she doesn’t love you” (Our cool DS giving us some of his wisdom)

Drama with 3rd Platoon - Day 56

posted Nov 19, 2011, 3:35 AM by Brandon McGuire

(Original Date: Thursday, June 10, 2010)

These entries are from the remaining letters that Brandon has mailed to me - the next several days up until Day 62 are letters that didn’t make it to me before I left to Georgia. His writing at times can be a bit difficult to determine his words... bare with me, I do my best, especially with army terms.

This morning after getting ready for the day, I could see Alpha Company out my window doing last minute PT test. Today is their family day and they still have people that haven’t passed yet… what a horrible situation to be in.

In formation the 3rd platoon (terminators) DS was yelling at all of them. They seem to always be getting in some sort of trouble. PFC Metal has a buddy in 3rd platoon so he got the scoop. Someone in his platoon stole a guys cell phone from CQ desk and took it to their bay. The guy at the CQ desk reported it and then DS on duty went up at midnight and got them all out of bed, then took them all down stairs to the CTA. They were going to bring in the MPs and do a locker search, but one of the guys said they saw a cell phone up there and knew where it was (without claiming responsibility). Their DS this morning was threatening article 15 and saying someone would definitely not graduate & the dreaded “recycle” word. What a dumb ass to something so stupid… so close to graduation.

We did our basic PT (stretches and a few push-ups & sit-ups) and then did 30/60s, which got a good sweat going. After breakfast we started cleaning our rifles yet again. It amazes me how dirty these things can get. Since we are turning them back in they have to be spotless. 

Alpha company started their Family Day ceremony. Half of our bay has windows that overlook Alpha Company. So everyone was very interested in seeing what was going on and also checking out to see if there were any hot chicks. When you have a bunch of young guys who haven’t been near a female in weeks they can get pretty excited over the prospect of seeing a woman. Our DS had to tell everyone to get away from the window. LOL!

We cleaned weapons non-stop until lunch. After lunch we started cleaning weapons again until about 16:30. At that time we had a company formation. The senior DS of the company then told everyone they were going to do a survey soon. He said it’s to make the next cycle better and the DSs do not see them… only company commander will see them. He also wet on to tell us all to behave like soldiers on family and graduation day when we are out of town.

Later we found out that we are going back to reception tomorrow to exchange any damaged or worn uniforms. We were told that this was our one and only chance this will happen in our army career, unless you get blood stains while deployed in Iraq or Afghanistan. I have grass stains & dirt stains on some of mine so hopefully they will take them. We’ll see.

Before our cool DS left he gave us our cell phones, which was very awesome surprise. We also found out the guy in 3rd platoon who got in trouble with the cell phone is most likely going to get an article 15 and a day 1 restart in another company. That has to be the worst punishment possible.

Random DS Quote:  “It’s like when you fuck your sister… it doesn’t feel right at first, but after a while it seems normal.” (I heard this from a DS talking to a private in front of me at the salad bar. I have no idea what the heck he was talking about, but when I heard it I was like WTF????

1-10 of 76